Friday, February 8, 2013

Hand Written Letter from Captain Hugh Stevens Doggett 1864 inquiring about family after Battle of Fredericksburg

This is a hand writtenlLetter from Captain Hugh Stevens Doggett Confederate States of American, 1864, inquiring about family after the Battle of Fredericksburg.

My cousin Norm Scott and I tried to translate it, by lightening the image.

If you can help us fill in a blank, please PLEASE help us do so, so we can discover the full intention of his letter.

This is in archives, and I discovered a digital file.  I do not own the original.  The original was very  dark.  What you see here is a lightened version, it in hopes we could fill in the blanks.

This is what we could decifer:

"Camp Lee June 7 - 64
Capt. __ Patterson

Capt, My family are in Fredericksburg and from what I have heard of the (pillage?) of the place, may be in_________& dry [garretts] or [garments] who are aged & infirm living between Fred & Spotsylvania Ct. -----robbed of everything & are without sustenance, my brothers who had aided them in so____  ___ _____have been carried off the_______by the enemy. I feel it my duty to look after them if I can.  I would therefore respectfully ___absence for twenty days!
Respectfully Yours,
HS Doggett Capt.
Co B Ba 30 Reg
on duty with P&E Prison"  -   [Prisoners and Exchange]


click image to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment