Friday, February 8, 2013

Hugh Stevens Doggett Absent on Surgeon's Certificate since March 3 1863


Captain Doggett was talked about by Uncle Hugh (Doggett Scott), Uncle Norman (C. Scott) my father (Richard) and others being wounded in the Civil War.  The story was that Captain Doggett said, as they were taking him away from the battlefield suffering a "gut wound;" "My guts are draggin' the ground boys, but keep on shootin'".....now whether this is verbatim is to be debated.

The second family story was he was wounded at the Battle of Antietam (near Sharpsburg Maryland) which was in September of 1962.  Antietam has a different date than this particular medical leave above.  However, the family story is, Captain Doggett was shot 3 times.  What I am not sure of, if this was at one battle, or over a series of battles.

Now it's your turn to help me get the facts straight.

What have you heard?  Email the stories to me at debrafrieden@gmail.com, and I will hunt down the medical record during that date.  If I can match the two - actual document date with family story, we can prove fact from fiction! 

No comments:

Post a Comment